You are here: American University Admissions International Applications Financial Planning Advice for International Undergraduate Admitted Students

Financial Planning Resources

We know that fiscal planning for post-secondary education in the United States as a non US-citizen can be challenging since need-based U.S. federal financial aid is not available to students on F, J and several other non-immigrant visas.

We therefore encourage you and your family to develop a long-term realistic financial plan that will sustain you for up to four years as an undergraduate student and allow you to focus on your academic and professional success, and personal growth.

Here are some ideas and resources for you to consider:

  • Will you be taking IB higher level, AP, British A level or CAPE Unit Two examinations? If yes, successful results may earn you advanced standing and AU credits, and save you time and money. Visit our exam credit page for our 2023 policies on advanced standing for specific examination subjects (2024 policies are subject to revision).
  • If you are admitted and decide to attend AU, you can set up an installment plan through AU's Student Accounts Office to pay up to 10 payments per year instead of paying all at once. For further information, please visit our student accounts page.
  • After the first two semesters at AU, and with the approval of your academic adviser, you may wish to think about studying during the summers to accumulate credits and perhaps graduate in 3 1/2 years instead of four years.
  • Cappex is one of the nation's largest scholarship databases. Among the scholarships listed, Cappex does include external scholarship resources that do not require U.S. citizenship. Students can create a free account to see personalized matches of eligible scholarships, as well as information on how to apply. Please review scholarship eligibility requirements and deadline dates carefully to see if you qualify for one or more funding opportunities.

AU also offers options for on-campus employment.  Several students apply to become a resident assistant (RA) in the residence halls after their first year. RA positions provide selected students with a residential space at no cost in addition to a monthly stipend that students may use to pay for incidentals. Also, several campus offices hire student staff as early as their first year. The AU Career Center maintains a database of on-campus and community job opportunities.  

  • The U.S. Department of State's website is an excellent resource for information about U.S. higher education, pre-departure information, and frequently asked questions.
  • This short video provides budgeting tips and advice specifically
    for international students.
  • Your education is an investment in your future, and the return on that investment at AU is impressive. Find out where an AU degree can take you.

We hope the above information is helpful. Please don't hesitate to contact us at if you have further questions.