Non-degree and Visiting Students

Students who study at American University without formal admission may be eligible take classes in nondegree status and may be referred to as nondegree students. Please note: "Continuing Education" is now referred to as nondegree.

Studying in nondegree status does not require application for admission as there is no program to apply to. Instead, students request nondegree status for various reasons. Requesting nondegree status might be something students do if they're admitted to a program elsewhere but would like to take a class during a semester in Washington DC or if their school does not offer the course. Others request nondegree status when they need a class or certification for their job and others may take a few classes in nondegree status to improve their academic record and prepare for admission to a specific program.

While in nondegree status, undergraduate nondegree students (those who have not earned a bachelor's degree) must maintain a GPA of 2.00 each semester and graduate nondegree students must maintain a 3.00 GPA.

University Catalog and Academic Regulations

The Academic Calendar lists important dates and deadlines for the Spring and Summer semesters.

For a list of departments and programs in the College of Arts & Sciences (CAS), please see the CAS homepage.

If you are considering applying to AU in the future, please meet with an academic advisor in the school that offers your major to discuss class options. You can find an advisor in the various schools below.

College of Arts & Sciences (CAS) academic advisor

Many nondegree students take advantage of the following programs:


You are eligible to study in nondegree status as long you meet all prerequisites and/or restrictions for the specific course as noted in the Schedule of Classes. Students admitted into a degree program at any other Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area schools are not permitted to take classes as a nondegree student and should consult their school's academic advisor or Registrar. You must also be in good standing with any other college or university in which you are currently enrolled. Students suspended or dismissed from another institution during the past year are not eligible to enroll as nondegree students at AU. International students are not eligible for student visas under nondegree status.


Nondegree students pay the same tuition as admitted students, no matter the grade type you choose(i.e., A through F, Pass/Fail, or Audit). Please see Student Accounts for current tuition and fees. A typical 3 credit hour course will have a tuition around $4,500, not including books and fees.

Financial aid, grants, and merit awards are not available for nondegree study. To qualify for financial aid, students must apply for admission and be admitted.

First Time Students

If you have never taken a class at AU in nondegree status, please visit AU Central.

Returning Students

If you have previously taken a class as a non-degree student and you're requesting a class offered by a College of Arts & Sciences department, please send the following information in an email to Christina Moye at To register for a course offered by another school or college at AU, please see the list of schools above to contact an advisor.

  1. Name:
  2. AUID: (If you don't remember it, include the phone and address we should have on file for you.)
  3. Course name and number:
  4. Prerequisite: Note how you satisfy any prerequisite listed on the Schedule of Classes by including the information we would see on your transcript such as the complete course title and number, dates, school and grade.
  5. Please let us know the reason you're continuing to take classes in nondegree status.