To foster a community at American University, University College (UC) provides a residential experience that supports first-year students socially and academically in their transition to college.
Our vision is of a vibrant, engaging, and inclusive first-year Living-Learning Community (LLC) that cultivates a deeper understanding of one's own identities, communities, and intellectual curiosity.
Our work in University College will be guided by our commitment to...
- Inclusivity - We respect all people, value diversity, and are committed to equity.
- Advocacy - We strive to provide spaces for students to understand how to use their voices to create positive change.
- Collaboration - We are committed to a program that runs on strong engagement with campus partners.
- Belonging - We aim to provide a shared sense of purpose and identity.
- Exploration - We empower students through critical inquiry to navigate new places, ideas and emotions.
Engaged Community: Students will be able to develop a sense of belonging with the AU community by establishing social connections with students, faculty, and staff, through their experiences at the University and beyond.
Social Justice & Global Impact: Students will be able to develop and further their understanding of people, groups, communities, and societies, to help initiate positive, sustainable change.
Personal & Professional Growth: Students will be able to develop socio-emotional and leadership skills that can benefit their personal flourishing and professional success.
Experiential Learning: Students will be able to connect the learned concepts in their complex problems seminar with co-curricular experiences to support their holistic learning and growth beyond the classroom.