You are here: American University Provost Registrar Student Services Continuous Enrollment

Continuous Enrollment

Students whose degree requirements are not completed and who have not been granted a temporary leave must register each fall and spring semester during regular registration periods for courses, thesis or dissertation seminars, continuing enrollment, doctoral dissertation, or maintaining matriculation. Those who do not will be considered as having separated from the university. Such students may then reapply and, if readmitted, are governed by requirements and regulations in effect at the time of readmission.

Maintaining Matriculation Courses

During a semester when a graduate student is not enrolled in credit course work but is utilizing the services of the university, the student may maintain enrolled status by registering for a Maintain Matriculation course. The tuition charge for a maintain matriculation course is $150.

Graduate Continuing Enrollment Courses

Two courses may be available for use by graduate students, depending on their degree and degree progress.

The 898 Doctoral Continuing Enrollment may be taken by doctoral students completing coursework, exams, or proposals in preparation for advancement to candidacy. It is a 1-9 credit course that can be repeated once and may be taken with or without regular coursework. Tuition is assessed at the 1 credit rate. The course is graded SP/UP and students must have the approval of their Program Director. Academic load will be determined by total enrolled credits for the semester. This course may not be used to establish full-time status for merit aid except for students with 1/2 time appointment who have an approved plan to distribute a total of 18 credits over one calendar year (6 credits during Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters).

The 899 Doctoral Dissertation may be taken by doctoral students who are advanced to candidacy with the approval of the faculty supervising the dissertation (or designee). It is a 9 credit course, but tuition is assessed at the 1 credit rate. The course is graded SP/UP and students will be deemed full-time. The Office of the University Registrar must be notified when a student has advanced to candidacy.