Scholarships through Kay Spiritual Life Center

American University is a United Methodist-affiliated institution. The Kay Spiritual Life Center, in partnership with Financial Aid and the United Methodist Church, administers a scholarship for undergraduate students only. Graduate students should seek financial assistance through their respective programs and schools. 

United Methodist 50% Tuition Remission Scholarship

As a courtesy to the Churches associated with the Pan-Methodist Commission, AU offers 50% United Methodist Ministerial Tuition Remission scholarship to dependent children of clergy under appointment and serving full-time in the following churches: United Methodist, African Methodist Episcopal, African Methodist Episcopal Zion, Christian Methodist Episcopal, and Union American Methodist Episcopal.

The scholarship program is competitive and limited to 16 students, approximately 4 for each incoming class. Applications are separate from the admissions process, occur on a rolling basis, and priority will be given to early applicants with high financial need. Our scholarship may or may not be able to be combined with other generous financial aid awards and grants. Eligibility requirements include:

  • Must be a dependent of an active ordained Pan-Methodist Commission clergy (including Deacons and Elders) who is under appointment by the Resident Bishop, to service in the Church.
  • Must be enrolled full-time in an undergraduate degree program prior to turning 23 years old.
  • Must be registered no less than 12 credit hours minimum each semester.
  • Must maintain a GPA of no less than 2.0 in a 4.0 scale each semester, as proof of academic progress toward earning his/her degree.

To Apply:

  • Using your AU username and password, log in to the following site:
  • Secondary confirmation will be required
  • Complete and submit a General Application
  • Click “Opportunities” at the top of the screen and, if prompted, click “All”
  • Scroll down to find the “United Methodist Tuition Scholarship for Children of Clergy”
  • Click “Apply”
  • Submit the required information in the application and then click “Finish and Submit”

Questions? Please email for technical support.

Smaller United Methodist Scholarships & Loans

Please visit the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry webpage for information about scholarships and loans available to United Methodist students.